Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Superstitious, Much?!?

"If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password: "Roll Tide Roll!"
--Bear Bryant

I witnessed this exchange in the ladies' room at the Alabama watch party in Grapevine last Saturday. Bama was ahead 31 - 0 at halftime against Georgia. The mom had just bought a new Tide in Texas t-shirt for her daughter, who looked to be probably 12 -14 years old.

Daughter, looking in the mirror & holding up the shirt: This is cute! Hang on a sec and I'll change into it.

Mom, horrified: No way! You can't change what you're wearing! You'll jinx us!

Daughter, rolling eyes: What? You're kidding, right??

Mom, looking more and more panicked: No! Seriously! You can NOT change clothes at halftime when we're ahead!

I'm just standing there, washing my hands.
Mom, hoping for help, looks at me. Daughter, shaking head in disbelief, looks at me.

Me, wearing my lucky Bama shirt, as I do on every game day: She's absolutely right, sweetie. If we're winning, then what EVER you were wearing at kickoff, you HAVE to keep wearing. I think it's a law or something.

Mom, relieved: If it's not, it should be.


Whaddaya say, Alabama?? Go Bama!! Roll Tide!!






No comments: